Saturday 23 May 2015

To Tibet with love...



Day15.. #100happydays #100daysofhappiness
Days of silence I have kept, not because I found no happy moments, but because I have been saddened by the roll of events around. The crazy weather, kids falling ill, that ailing cough that silences your voice, the moods of maids - is nothing compared to the chills I have got from the increasing rape stories, which was previously women, but now small children are tormented, so much so that even schools don’t seem to be a safe place. Just today, when I heard my daughter refer to her school as her second home, my heart sank, she thought of that as her home - a place of safety and happiness, but little did she know that her mother now shudders and only prays that episodes do not recur in other schools the way it has unfolded in a certain school here in Bangalore. 
I recollect in Tibet, on that memorable holiday, we were shocked to see the kind of security and rigidity the Chinese place towards Tibetans. Freedom is something alien to them at this point, yet the people are friendly, warm, charming and have a striking innocence. This picture is of a Tibetan child, probably unaware of his surroundings yet so happy; thankfully these kids have their pure innocence intact. In Bangalore we have our own freedom no doubt, but somehow am thinking too much freedom has come in the way, where people take rape with so much ease and liberty. 


Nirbhaya was a movement that created a national stir and now this 6 year old girl's rape in school premises has created its own stir. You might find this a strange post as I have been speaking about my 100 days of happiness, then how does such a sore subject qualify. 
It does cause I am happy that people are raising their voices for what they believe in and what is right. Protecting our kids is not a luxury or a demand we should be making from our government or the judicial system, but a right that we get with our own parental positions. I am happy that we take this seriously and understand the many lives we impact with little steps. I do pray that this movement brings some serious answers and a strong message for the next person who attempts to not just harm another woman but any child, irrespective of their gender.

No comments:

Post a Comment