Saturday 23 May 2015

'Grand' memories




Everyone has some fond memory or the other of their grandmother, lucky for me, I do too. If you ask me, she was the magnet that literally kept the family together, so everyone you see in this photo has loved her, cherished and was loved back so much more. She has impacted our lives in ways one cannot imagine. 

From what I have heard, all over Coorg, she was known to be an extremely selfless lady whose generosity knew no bounds. She was calm, friendly, helpful, spiritual, devoted and whipped up the best meals for family and friends. While I call her Avva, she was known as the 'sweet Boddu'. 


My best memories have been with her immense calmness and joy while feeding us grand kids (all from one plate), the bathing rituals or sleeping with her on the floor in her room. While these are things everyone would probably recollect of their grand folks, I have the most valuable memory of learning algebra from her, when she stayed with us. Yes! You read it right, she was a maths whizz and I don’t know how many knew about this. But she loved numbers and cruised me through my numbers with so much ease and adoration, without a speck of anger or shooting tempers. Cant say I can do that today with my daughter  as homework time and I am ready to go shrill and impatient. So much to learn as I think of her everyday!

She had the rare quality of being independent. At no point she wanted to hassle or burden
anyone, be it her own kids. Her days passed with her spiritual connect and her gifted hands in the kitchen. The very yummy banana fritters or balenoorku (Spelled to pronunciation) as we call it, is still my favorite, ensuring that my cook mastered it, but it’s never the same. 

I am sure words will continue when I think of her, but would be best if I leave you with so much of intellect and yum that she could create in her lifetime. She detested the camera, so most snaps have her covering her face, but these are few where she charmed us with that 'smile of an angel'. Why does it become imperative to speak of her today? That is because she has given me a lifetime of happiness and pride that I am attempting to capture in these 100 days. Today is her birthday, so isn't it more fitting to go down memory lane with her? Everyone has gotten busy in their own lives but am sure to wish you Avva, we all together send you oodles of love and hugs always from this crazy world to the better world you are in

No comments:

Post a Comment