Saturday 23 May 2015

School fantasies!


It’s the sick child, the maid who gave up on you, the demanding younger child, piling work, that may give me wrinkles faster than I imagined, but like most folks I have my own quick fixes that give me that boost of energy to get through the day. Everyone has a moment of respite that gives you the best smile.. from your heart. Strangely enough any dream I had whether related to my family or work would always be within my school premises FAPS or formally known as The Frank Anthony Public School Bangalore. Moments of my time in school were reinstated when I witnessed a JAM (just a minute) session of my younger daughter in Nursery at her school, where she had to speak about her favorite cartoon character. Needless to say I am a proud mum with her one minute speech on Ninja Hatori with lines she raked up her self, but my point being on the experiences we have at school that last us a lifetime.
While the school had all the facets that one would describe as a good school…back then.. with excellent faculty, great open culture, perfect balance between academics and extra curricular and finally a platform to graduate from a school that was well recognized. But amongst many things, few aspects seem to stay with us like teachers who became friends with students, for life. The school building was nothing fancy, but what it packed in one building and one ground, gave us our complete essence of school life in such a wonderful way. The classes were functional and so were the rest rooms, cause during our time there, the look of the space hardly mattered. The labs gave us our experiments in bubbles and gasses or the horror of dissecting a rat. The field gave us our best field n track, softball, basketball and so much more but the many hours we scorched in the sun marching our way around to perfect the best house trophy was laudable. The music and dance competition had its own flair. The horrifying uniforms till 10th standard became charming when we shortened it to our like. Then came 11 and 12 standard where our uniforms were outfits of envy.
It is a regular school with kids who understand humility, the canteen is a joy, however small or shabby, the school bookstore was our place of frequent visits for maps, and not forgetting the visit to the headmaster’s office, angling our hands from the cane whack for throwing pellets at the teacher – not a proud moment but such a memorable one. The school picnics, the Goa trip that made us think we were cool, and years later a fun reunion with school friends at a popular hangout by school friends turned entrepreneurs - all makes such a lively story. The politics amongst friends, changing gangs and taking sides was like a normal day. While being the house captain was remarkable, the bigger memory came from the build up to ‘the socials’ – the most glamorous and awaited event for us. The pressure of outfits, the perfect date (always in confusion upto the last minute with new boyfriends evolving at the nick of time) and then the wait for the result – the FAPS princess and prince, all created so much drama. The good news is this drama concluded with two charming folks from Kammanahalli of course (we renamed it as Kammanahatton – considering our royal linkages) – Clive and myself for the FAPS Prince and Princess – something we still gloat about 19 years later.
I am 3 days late but was hoping to have this post up by Clivee’s birthday on Mar 2 – the most loved and popular headboy! Some friendships just cannot be explained and that is mine with him. As far as I can remember all my time spent with him has been with smiles and loud laughter, whether it was studying for toposheets, cycling to school or finding our way in the horrifying BMTC buses with sights and smells that tarnish us. He was dad’s favorite audience too with his army stories. He has been not just a wonderful friend, but a perfect son, brother, husband and a doting father. While corporate glamour seems to suit him, he is balancing well with his sheer commitment to his family. With the passage of time, we have grown in mind and body but our conversations don’t struggle to make the journey from school to professional lives. We don’t meet often (at all) or even talk but the warmth from him and his family has stayed with me always. I am yet to come across a family that can exhibit so much love and joy, live like every day is the last and welcome me with so much warmth. During my school days, we have had so many friends who have seen us through thick and thin, but Clivee want to thank you for being you and always keeping simplicity, humility, humor and showing the courage to be a dependable friend. With oodles of luv wishing you a lifetime of happiness always!
Ps: I hope this makes up for my absence of not being able to reach 415 JVV as well.
I can confidently say that my school years have been my best years I hope yours have been too.
Please feel free to tag yourselves. Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment