Saturday 23 May 2015

Independence - celebrating freedom



Day 27...#100happydays #100daysofhappiness
Independence Day special:)
It is but obvious that today my note will be about our very favorite Independence day.. holiday for all but solemn for some. Independence is the freedom I have got, that its Aug 15, and I have taken the entire day to soak in the moods of Independence to word this post just before midnight, as this celebrated day concludes. The value of this word is so intense that I am sure my few words will never do justice, but a heartfelt note is more valuable than a 1000 words..don't you think?

Come Jan 26 and Aug 15, we see the hoisting of flags, the salutes, the celebrated national anthem, the talks of patriotism, the colors of independence and the cheer for our freedom. But why does such a wonderful democracy limit these celebrations to these 2 days? No doubt we cannot have a year long celebration but if we take small steps to value the freedom that the valiant soldiers have earned for us then am sure, with our heads high we will feel more confident in seeing the glory of our flag all year round. Somehow patriotism is a vanishing feeling as India marches towards new auras of progress, but my two bits would be always keep a small potion of patriotism in one finger, as that will always keep you grounded and united. 

I recollect hearing a mother saying that she hides the newspaper from her child so that he doesn't read all the violence, trauma and mistrust in the papers. No doubt India's journey at this juncture seems bleak with safety for women and children being the pinnacle of discussion. But every dark cloud has a silver lining and I am sure India has that too. We will surface and come out strong and positive in a better way that we will be able to cherish this democracy always for our kids and generations thereafter. So tomorrow, if you decide to trash India, for any reason whatsoever, please think twice. 

This is for all those folks who take so much liberty in writing off the India advantage and spend their time focusing on those small limitations. They believe that any attempted change is a wasted effort and hence they should explore other pastures, only not realizing the shocks that will welcome them in the new environment. No one disputes that issues like corruption, our political system, select restraining policies, the widening gap between the rich and the poor, the rising costs, and perhaps many more reasons are surfacing and creating a sorry picture for progressive India. But don't you think change begins with us and the way we look at things. 

So for me, freedom is my willingness to express, communicate, practice, love, cherish, dedicate, decide, feel safe and most of all, to not be judged. I love the fact that we have grown in this era, where modern and tradition blend so gracefully. It sets the boundaries yet opens the skies of freedom. I value that we have a history of struggle that teaches us the value of freedom. We are blessed with tradition that we cherish, culture that keeps us together, technology that keeps us ahead, innovation and creativity that drives our economy and most of all the vision that will always keep us ahead in ways that others will find hard to imagine. 
I do hope that my kids will nurture and hold India and its Independence at a pedestal. 

When I set out to write this post, I had imagined stringing words on so many facets of India. But I realized its so diverse, that it compels me to limit my tribute. While all my relationships have been foremost in my 100 days, it would have been impossible to love and be loved without such a democracy. So here's to a better tomorrow, where we make a difference together, for a safer country that doesn't lose its simplicity and passion- may India shine with its 'India advantage'

No comments:

Post a Comment