Monday 21 September 2015

Memories in stone! Home is where the heart is..



Long post alert, but its difficult to contain a writer when she is describing her perfect home!
I grew up, so did my locality, but this community remained the way it was 25 years back. I still recollect being the main force behind our move into Jal Vayu Vihar (JVV). A pristine community, large enough to get lost but personal enough to feel secure! We had come to visit my uncle and in a flash I had my heart set here, which till date has never left the premises. I was willing to wake up earlier than the other kids and sit in the van which made Jal Vayu as the first pick up point and the last drop point, but there was no looking back for me and my family.
Primarily an Airforce and Navy community with largely retired residents, this community has retained its decorum despite the changes in its surroundings with Kammanhalli getting more commercialized. As you enter it feels like a solace in the middle of madness – that’s the feeling you would get amidst the low rise stone buildings and an abundance of greenery. Envisioned to cater to the smallest needs of its residents, this community of 540 apartments has its own shopping complex, beauty salon, post office, community hall, badminton court, the defense canteen, school premises, MI room, children’s play areas, gymnasium, library amongst others. This colony has now evolved with its commercial setting and is making lucrative use of modifications in its boundary walls with renting of retail outlets and the most noticeable change – increasing number of professionals as tenants and owners. What began with Maruti 800’s back in the 90’s now sees the more suave and sought after cars parked here. Homes with small windows now have modifications that were previously unimaginable – some done legally and few illegally, but reflective of the owner’s pride. With many changes come several issues, which often take time to gain acceptance. Prior to the email arena, the issues were definitely noticeably lesser, but now in this day and age, the community group seems to stay active with a host of ideas and issues, which make it fascinating to see all heads coming together to drive the efforts of this ‘legendary’ community to perfection. There are the odd elements that can make the charm of the community a complete nightmare but thankfully the very essence and character of JVV is so grounded that it remains unwaivered. It is a landmark, amidst so many giants.
The strength of this community is in the relationships it fosters amongst the residents. I have had the privilege of building my closest bonds with friends who are definitely ‘my friends for life’ Back then, evenings were about playing the craziest games like 7 stones, hide and seek or hoping to get a chance at badminton. Festivals were celebrated in closeness and grandeur. Stepping out of our homes within the colony late at night always had our minds at peace with the safety this community brought us. Today with changing times, kids perceive evening activities differently but safety and celebration remains unchanged. The senior citizens feel secure and cared for with the dedication of committed residents who are a part of Ashwasan.
My forever friends are all here. So today, on the eve of my dear friend Ronita’s birthday, I write this piece about what home has been for me. While so far I have given you a description which probably sounded like a marketing pitch but it’s hard to describe ideal with lesser words. So for me home in Jal Vayu has been memories that last a lifetime, relationships that we take along, calmness that promises me the peace I deserve and joy that tells me how privileged I am. My many firsts have been here with milestones in school, college, post graduation, a professional footprint and welcoming the thrill of marriage. It is here; I cherished relationships, strengthened family bonds and grew as a person. I learnt that a mother can be your best friend too, and that's the perfection my mum achieved. So essentially, Jal Vayu Vihar for me has been my lifetime! Today there are many skyscrapers with a lot of modern amenities and advanced in technology, but JVV draws me like no other in its simplicity, cheer and heart rendering nostalgia. I know my mum has her heart at JVV too. Don’t you Nimmi Belliappa?
So today, Ronita Shambaya, I have already written a personal tribute to you earlier. So on your birthday I thought it would be apt to share with you the place we both call home. A large part of it remains because of you girls there and for that I will always be thankful for being blessed with friendships that often exceed sisterhood! Thank you and wishing you oodles of happiness always. It’s an early wish, but comes with so much prayer and hugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment