Monday 21 September 2015

Big 100 or close enough!





This would be an incomplete journey in my 100 days if I don't share with you the incredible journey of my maternal grandfather.. who celebrates his big 100 today. The age has been a matter of debate like most folks in that generation but its never too early or late to remember a father, husband,grandfather and friend with fondness. Like all lost relationships in my life... I speak about him as 'is' as opposed to 'was' even though he passed away few years ago.
A horticulturalist by profession and father to 9 kids of diverse age groups and personalities, his stories never cease to fascinate me. Unlike most of you, i do not write this post reminiscing about my days with him as i have not spent extended time with him. Being the army kid who has seen her grand folks during vacations with a split time schedule between two houses it does not give one adequate time to build so many memories. So my bond largely grew from the stories I heard of him.
As a person with a calm, loving and caring demeanor, his popularity is noteworthy. Known for his horticultural flair, it greatly reflected in the garden he maintained at their home in Mercara presently known as Madikeri with an abundance of fruits vegatables and flowering plants.
A father so loving to all 9, I am always in awe of his ability to steer through his responsibilities to bring up a large family with such perfection. Without a compromise hailing from an average middle income job this was definitely something to wonder about. The little snacks, the non veg surprises, the special birthday celebrations for the youngest... my mum, with gifts chocolates clothes n more were little thoughts that exemplified his parenting style. At a time when mindsets were impressionable and society commanded the rules, he steered his family with independence, integrity, self respect, honesty and love. His broadminded approach enabled him to handle life s challenges even with unsettled or rebelling kids with understanding, transparency and mutually agreeable dialogue. His ideologies and fair practices have made them independent individuals who made a mark for themselves and did not follow the traditional route of relying on ancestral heritage and property- which is often a cause of severe misunderstanding in Coorg families. With so many positives there will always be a slight hiccup cause that's what makes him human. His loving heart was sometimes too sentimental that even unknown obituaries in the newspaper had tears rolling down his cheeks. His soft nature had a vice that created an occasional disturbance to my grandmother. .. his love for alcohol that was enjoyed even without company. My grandmother has been the pillar of the household and the force behind keeping all emotions intact.
As grandparents, he charmed with softness and expression while my grandmother routed her emotions to discipline and firmness. Once they moved to Bangalore, festivals, family gathering with uncles aunts cousins always meant a buzzing household in Shantinagar with delicious food, drinks, laughter, arguments, and chitter chatter with screams of madness. The good news then was relationships were not based on time. Everyone just made it happen and valued it more. Today, they are not there, but the house still rings of all the times we had there.
The more I hear about him I always yearn to have been able to spend more time with him. Some of my cousins have grown with him and today smile so fondly in celebration. Thinking of him, as a parent I am reminded of the patience love and care I need to exercise every second with just my two girls.... its my firm belief.. every second we continue to learn hence my journey of new discoveries and values never ceases to exist.
So on his 100 th birthday cheers to a man who lived loved cared shared and cheered like no other... may we all have something of him in us to make us as loving as he was and to be able to be remembered for the right reasons only. With much love...happy birthday thatha... love from all of us..

No comments:

Post a Comment