Wednesday 20 January 2016

My daddy strongest!

Day 86..‪#‎100daysofhappiness‬ ‪#‎100happydays‬
My daddy strongest! Happy happy birthday to a dad who lived to love and cheer, who worked tirelessly and slept only to build new dreams, who believed in hospitality that lasts, who felt the extra mile too was never enough for someone he cared about and whose heart fondly believed that bread and egg was the greatest discovery for mankind!
In more ways every day I hope to instil the values and beliefs which you taught me.. with my children. I always wish that you would be here to be the maternal granded my kids deserve and then I look at mum and realise what a phenomenal job she does in being a dad, mum, brother, grandad, grandmum and mum in law. So many relationships, on one shoulder, with an uncomplaining smile, loving heart and hands that only help...and most of all my best friend. So while you will always be missed I get to learn about you and have my best conversations about you with the person who knows you and loves you with all honesty. That makes memories so cherishable. We have come a long way riding on memories, tears, laughter and emotions that even facebook cannot justify but am happy we have come out stronger, independent and sure individuals who know how to miss and cherish without complaining and expectation. We love you Daddy! Am sure Anna makes your birthday really grand too!... Nimmi Belliappa let the celebrations begin!
Recollecting day 38 from last year!

Can you imagine gifting someone a dozen eggs on their birthday? Don’t be surprised as I had done just that and to my surprise the reaction was fabulous. It was for my dad, whose birthday it is today. He would have been 67 years today, an age I somehow find it hard to imagine. Most folks used to feel that I used to look exactly like him, though I always wanted to look like Mum. Today everyone says I look like a replica of Mum and I secretly wish that I have atleast my Dad’s personality to keep with me. My post today should ideally be a free flow, but I still struggle. Not because it’s an effort to talk about my dad, but because in my attempt to capture all his greatness, I do feel challenged. He is our dad, loved husband, a forever friend and the rock of the extended family. With him we have earned so much in life and after him lost as well in the form of relationships, but we have understood, what has stayed with us, is his legacy and only the best.

For me, when I look back, I will not claim that he was my hero or my idol. I say this not in pessimism, but because we were so alike. His endurance, ability to work tirelessly and be diligent even under tremendous pressure, encourages me to surprise life itself. He seldom smiled but when he did, he could radiate the room with his bundle of energy, quick wit and charm that stayed alive in the memories of men and women. His athletic competence was commendable and always gave a boost to any sportsmanship I attempted to pursue. An army man, so fitting I would say that his transition to the business of security almost seemed seamless. His willingness to help and generosity is something I am yet to master. His parental instinct defined by a set of rules, often made our journey mutually enriching, as he learnt new aspects of parenting as we grew and we were grounded with values and guidelines that he introduced us to. I am positive that a lot of balance in outlook was a result of my mum’s larger views of the world, which enabled him to gradually understand the openness in our society. In my opinion, it was commendable to show willingness to new ideas and change at any stage in life. A character so rare and hard to find in anyone else I know.

I can never forget my 18th birthday at a club with 100 friends (yes 100 friends). His shock, alertness was beyond our understanding, as he had to first digest my not so modest outfit followed by the cheer and wishes surrounded by so many boys and girls. Having said that, he was a disciplinarian and always believed, that being a father is a parental role and not about being friends. While I learnt the aspect of discipline from him, I do believe that as parents we can be best friends to our kids. It’s probably a different ideology but am happy I can blend my ideas with the ones he has instilled in me. At the stage when children become friends with parents, I got my best friend in my mum, whose role was double tasked to play both our mum and dad.

Looking back and thinking of him, I am blessed for being his daughter and having known him for 18 years of my life. For some it may not seem long enough, but for me to have just known him and to always remember him for being there during the most important years of my life, makes our relationship perfect. So here’s wishing the first and most handsome man in my life a very happy birthday and look forward to having him in my journey of life always..Nimmi Belliappa

No comments:

Post a Comment