Saturday 13 February 2016

Blending tradition - I have no regrets



A parent’s nightmare is attempting to make the right decisions and then feel grateful for the choices made. Well, my learning curve has been adventurous, but the choice of schools for both my girls is undeniably 100% the best choice for my kids. It’s not a trendy and modern international school, neither is it a new age open concept school. With my ideologies set in traditional methods, I was thrilled that my kids have been to schools that conform to these ideologies. Advertorials and surveys have probably said enough on the ranking of the school pan India, but that is not my priority. Opting for my Alma Mater would have been an option, but in my mind I was clear that I wanted blend ‘Incredible India’ with a global mind and that equation is achieved here in perfection!
I love the fact that the schools blend modern with tradition; Indian with global, academics balances extra curricular and national sports achievers are beyond my count from the junior school level. If there is the Bhagavad Gita, Kathak and Yoga on one side, there is western music and dance on the other. Monthly charity engagements for the kids have them aware of needs and wants. Sentiments and relationships are recognized in much grandeur with little celebrations like Grandparents day embarking on creativity and entertainment. With an ongoing project based approach, the blend of practical and theory makes the kids a lot more confident. Opportunities for presentations, assembly performances, theme related displays, have made the stage shy into stage warriors. Concern areas are addressed with such care and without the child sensing the change. The transport system is not an air conditioned van; instead it’s a large BMTC bus, with a dedicated driver and conductor, steered by a teacher on duty. The charm of the bus ride, with the many kids, just adds to their fascination- all within safety standards! The parent’s community is enthusiastic, appreciative and co-operative, which makes all our interactions enduring and supportive, with the active use of watsapp!
The kids are aware of technology and developments but remain grounded on age related expectations. There is simplicity and playfulness which may often seem ‘less stylish’ for other kids, but it relieves me that make up, mobiles, fashion are not the centre of their lives. They have humility, concern, an attitude to share, never ending affection, they have their moments of demands, tantrums and indulgences, but nothing different from what we grew up with. I love the fact, that normalcy makes them special. Backing their approach in school, as a parent, I am thrilled, that I have a say in their work, experience their learning and approaches along with them, engage in projects that often seem complex for the young minds, which we tend to undermine. So the environment and social issues are topics that are never too early to adapt.
I am a happy mamma, and what makes me happier is that going to school for my kids is not a routine, it’s an excitement! Most of you have gathered my choice of domains that shape my 100 days project, so this is another facet to the choices I made, that feature in my 100 days. It’s not a journalistic attempt to negate anybody else’s preferences! Well if you think this is an advertorial, definitely not! It’s the gratitude for listening to my heart and not going by a fad.

No comments:

Post a Comment